I thought I’d share some of my favourite tips, tricks, and swaps, all in one place, along with some of my readers’ favourite content that I’ve created over the years.
Blog series: the “why” of Zero Waste:
- PART 1: Nothing breaks down in landfills
- PART 2: Recycling isn’t the answer
- PART 3: We need to reduce our use of plastics
My “materials and ingredients” series:
- Plastics: Types #1-7 (health and environmental impacts)
- Plastics: BPA (and its alternatives)
- Plastics: What are resin codes and why do they matter?
Other in-depth, research-based reader favourites:
- How does plastic get into the oceans?
- On plastic straws and ableism
- What if you don’t have a bulk/refill store near you?
- What’s more important: individual action or collective action?
- Why (and how) to support local small businesses
- How to evaluate companies
- Why libraries are cooler than you might think
- Self care: its history and importance
- Does going Zero Waste save money or cost more?
- Going Zero Waste with a reluctant partner
- Eco-anxiety: thoughts on how to cope
My open letter
In June 2019, I wrote an open letter sharing my thoughts on climate change from my perspective as a mother. My letter, “Dear World Leaders: Should I Have a Second Baby?” went viral on social media, with 40,000 likes, 1,200 comments, and 11k shares (and counting!) on Instagram.
The immense response I received from the public showed me just how much people care about these issues. It has inspired me to write about the big topics: eco-anxiety, intersectionality, and activism, as well as continuing to champion individual change, such as striving to live in a “Zero Waste” way.
I’m fuelled by the thousands of young people who have reached out to me, and the future generations who deserve a healthy planet. I believe that we can all make a difference and help to create a better world.
Simple swaps and recommendations
- What’s the easiest Zero Waste swap?
- Simple Swap: cotton swabs
- Simple Swap: bread
- Simple Swap: travel mug
- Simple swap: berries
- Simple swap: chewing gum
- Simple swap: toilet paper
- Simple swap: takeout
- Simple swap: goodie bags
- Simple swap: gifts (My ultimate list of Zero Waste and experience gift ideas)
- What can be composted?
- A tip for cleaning jars
- On NOT buying
Do you find this information useful? Please consider supporting my work.