I originally found this recipe from my friend @chelseahennard, and I know that my friend Kate of @my_plastic_free_home has made them too! The bars are beautiful, customizable, and so luxuriously moisturizing. I love using them on my legs after shaving.
Even better: they’re easy to make and can be made with zero waste ingredients! They’re a wonderful alternative to body lotion in plastic. I got most of these ingredients from a local refill shop.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shea butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) beeswax pellets/small pieces
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sweet almond oil (or another skincare oil of your choice)
- Heat shea butter, beeswax, and coconut oil gently over low heat in a double boiler until it becomes liquid, stirring often.
- Add almond oil and incorporate.
- Pour into moulds (such as muffin tins) and let cool in the fridge for a few hours.
- Use and enjoy!
+ you can add essential oils if you like, although I personally think it smells lovely as is
+ beeswax blocks can be tricky to break up. pellets are easier, but blocks can be shaved using vegetable graters (be very careful when doing this!)
+ you can also use a microwave instead of a double boiler. heat at 10 or 20 second intervals (every microwave is different!), remove, and stir. use a heat safe bowl and oven mitts!
+ if you can, try to find organic, fair trade, and local options when looking for ingredients.
Have you made your own lotion bars before?