Why do we Zero Waste folks love solid products so much?
It goes without saying that they’re great because of the lack of packaging, but you may be surprised that they have other benefits as well. Here are a few:
- More eco-friendly when it comes to shipping. Of course, this can change based on your location and the location of the companies in question; however, typically liquid products are heavier and more prone to breakage, meaning that shipping them is less eco-friendly. We’re also essentially shipping more water, if you think about it, which makes no sense.
- More concentrated. They may seem more expensive, but we’re typically used to diluted products because of the addition of water. Don’t be fooled—solid products are tiny but mighty!
- More accessible. If you have access to refill stores, that’s fantastic, but many people live in rural areas without speciality bulk stores. Enter solid products, which shoppers can order online. (Yes, online shopping has concerns; however, these concerns vary greatly depending on the company, and online shopping can actually be more eco-friendly!)
- Fewer (if any) preservatives needed. Without the addition of water, products don’t require as many preservatives such as parabens. Some sources question the safety of parabens, and other sources say that they’re safe, but in my opinion, if we can avoid them altogether, isn’t that just the greatest?
- Easy for travel. I’m not exactly a jet-setter, but if you do a lot of travel, solid products are the absolutely easiest because you don’t need to worry about leaking products!
Some of the solid products you can find on the market include:
- shampoo and conditioner
- lotion bars for body and face
- toothpaste tabs
- deodorant bars/stones
- dishwashing soap
- classic bar soap, of course
- and more!
Do you use solid products? What’s your favourite?
Learn more about preservatives here: https://www.theecowell.com/blog/preservatives1
Leave a Reply