When’s the last time you washed your makeup brushes? Be honest! Most of us don’t do it often enough, and brushes can get pretty gross. Dirty brushes can even cause breakouts. (If you’re getting unexplained blemishes, wash those brushes!) The good news is that it’s SO easy to do it in a Zero Waste way.
Here’s a secret: commercial makeup brush cleaning products are a waste of time and resources. All you need is a little bit of unscented soap (I used castile soap but you can use any kind—and unscented natural shampoo works too), a bowl, water, and a cloth. .
- Gather all your brushes. (Please know that these aren’t exactly sustainable brands. I bought them long ago and I’ll keep using them.)
- Add a bit of soap and some warm water in a small bowl.
- One by one, swirl your brush in the bowl.
- Rinse under cool water. You can work through particularly dirty brushes with your (clean) fingers.
- Pat the brush and lie flat to dry.
- Change your soap and water often. If it looks like this is needs to be changed!
- Voila! Beautiful, clean brushes and no fancy equipment required. .
How do you clean your makeup brushes?