There are so many reasons to love the people doing great work in your community, and so many ways to help support them. I have the pleasure of knowing several small business owners personally, and I can’t even tell you the amount of love and care that goes into every aspect of their business.
One tricky thing that I sometimes find is that since we can reach diverse audiences in social media, I receive requests for product/company recommendations. I love recommending local places! But I also know that there are millions of tiny businesses I don’t know about, all around! I’d encourage everyone to research small companies with low-waste/eco-friendly practices that are close to them, and support those.
Why support small businesses?
By supporting a local small business, you’re:
- supporting the local economy and your community
- bringing someone’s dream to life
- encouraging innovation and creativity
- able to chat with the owner and learn nearly every aspect of the production
- receiving excellent, personalized, customer service
- indirectly supporting other small businesses that work with, or supply to, the owner (such as farmers)
How to support small businesses
- Buy products from them
- Put their products on your own wish lists (if people ask you what you’d like for holidays/special occasions)
- Recommend them to family or friends
- Follow, like, and comment on their social media content
- Write a positive review online
- Participate in community events