Let’s talk about one of our favourite things … bread! Because really, is there anyone who doesn’t like bread? I wish I could say that I make my own but I don’t yet. Maybe one day! But if you’re like me and don’t make your own, it’s still possible to get, and store, bread sans packaging! Here are my top tips.
- Check out your local grocery store—you might be surprised and impressed by their bakery section.
- Local bakeries and farmer’s markets are pretty awesome. Bagel stores too! Usually they’re all very happy to use your own bag.
- I use cloth bread bags to store my bread, but I also reuse plastic bags for freezing. (If you bring your own plastic bag to a bakery, remember a twist-tie too!)
- I also use a bread box, but to be honest that’s more so because I have no pantry and my kitchen is teeny tiny.
- I can’t always get to bakeries on a regular basis so I do tend to go a little wild and stock my freezer.
- Vegan and gluten-free options are becoming more and more widely available! Of course if you’re celiac, you’ll have to be especially careful about contamination.
- I personally try to avoid bread with added sugar, trans fats, preservatives, and additives. Often, bakery bread has better ingredients than grocery store bread, so that’s an added bonus!
Leave a Reply