What’s the easiest Zero Waste swap to make? In my experience, it’s anything that you need to replace once and never again. Food can be challenging for a lot of people if you don’t have easy access to a bulk/refill store because you need food pretty much all the time. Personal care products are somewhere in the middle, as they don’t need to be replaced as often as food. But for some things, the swap only needs to be made once. In my mind, that’s a beautiful thing!
What do I include in this category?
- Rags instead of paper towels
- Cloth napkins instead of paper
- Fabric cosmetic rounds instead of disposable cotton
- Cloth produce/bulk bags instead of plastic disposable bags
- Handkerchiefs instead of tissues
- Menstrual cups, cloth pads, or period panties instead of disposable period products
Of course there’s sometimes a bit of a learning curve or adjustment period, with some products more than others. Still, once you get the hang of it, you never need to think of it again!
Even better? You don’t need to purchase many of these items! You likely already have some lying around (like rags, or perhaps cloth napkins) or you can make them (like cosmetic rounds or produce bags).
What would you add to this list? How have you found these swaps? Or, what’s the easiest Zero Waste swap you’ve found so far? I have so many questions today!